29 Sep Sweets from the sky.
And there is more! The legendary SP-WDL was also used for advertising. The name of the company – E. WEDEL – was written in bold, large letters on the bottom of the fuselage. It was seen by all who were enjoying their holidays at the Polish seaside. As it was passing over the resorts, a flurry of leaflets and sweets was released from its hold. There was even a special competition where you could receive a bar of chocolate in exchange for a particular number of leaflets.
The fate of the aircraft after the outbreak of World War II is unknown. What we do know is that in the first days of the conflict it carried liaison officers delivering further orders and reports. However, after the attack of the Soviets on September 17th 1939 the aircraft was moved to Romania. It is here where it was last seen.
In 2002 Andrzej Doroszewicz and Stanislaw Michalczuk built a replica of the famous plane to a scale of 88% of its original size. It often takes part in air shows. During the Night of Museums [Noc Muzeów] of 2013 it was one of the main attractions at the Wedel Delight Factory [Fabryka Przyjemnosci Wedla].